Foundation, the epic sci-fi series based on Isaac Asimov’s seminal book series of the same name, is returning to Apple TV+ for its second season on July 14, 2023. The show, which chronicles the stories of four crucial individuals transcending space and time as they overcome deadly crises, shifting loyalties and complicated relationships that will ultimately determine the fate of humanity, has been praised for its ambitious scope, stunning visuals and stellar cast.
If you’re a fan of the show, or curious about what it’s all about, here’s everything you need to know before Foundation Season 2 arrives.
Table of contents
In Foundation Season 2, set over a century after the finale of the first season, tension escalates across the galaxy. As the Cleons unravel, a vengeful queen plots from within to dismantle the Empire. Hari, Gaal and Salvor discover a colony of Mentalics with psionic abilities that threaten to alter psychohistory itself. The Foundation has entered its religious phase, promulgating the Church of Seldon throughout the Outer Reach and inciting the Second Crisis: war with Empire
The main cast from the first season will return for the second season, including:
- Lee Pace as Brother Day, the current Emperor of the Galactic Empire
- Jared Harris as Hari Seldon, a mathematician who predicts the fall of the Empire and establishes the Foundation
- Leah Harvey as Salvor Hardin, a warden of Terminus who becomes a leader of the Foundation
- Lou Llobell as Gaal Dornick, a brilliant mathematician who joins Hari Seldon’s project
- Terence Mann as Brother Dusk, the eldest of the three clones who rule the Empire
- Laura Birn as Eto Demerzel, a mysterious advisor to the Emperor
- Cassian Bilton as Brother Dawn, the youngest of the three clones who rule the Empire
The second season will also introduce new characters, both original creations and fan-favorites from Asimov’s novels. Some of them are:
- Ella-Rae Smith as Queen Sareth, a revenge-driven monarch who seeks to destroy Empire from within
- Rachel House as Tellem Bond, a leader of the Mentalics who possesses psionic abilities
- Adria Arjona as Arkady Darell, a young historian who uncovers secrets about the Foundation and the Empire
- Alfred Enoch as Raych Seldon, Hari Seldon’s adopted son who becomes a spy for the Empire
- Clarke Peters as Ebling Mis, a psychologist who works with Bayta Darell to find the Second Foundation
The official trailer for Foundation Season 2 was released on May 11, 2023. It shows off some of the new characters and locations that audiences will encounter in the upcoming season, as well as teasing some of the epic battles and conflicts that will unfold.
You can watch it here: